Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Laptop's Last Hurrah

Well, I knew it was only a matter of time -- my Acer laptop computer died last night.  We definitely got our money's worth out of it.  It once belonged to Lys during her high school days and I adopted it when she upgraded for her college work.  Keys were beginning to stick, it was slo-o-o-w-w-ing way down in its response time, and then last night, it cranked out its final hurrahs. As much as I hate spending money on it, a laptop is a necessity for me.  I have a nonprofit to run, serve on a couple committees, plus do some private speech therapy -- all of these require computer-generated records.   Yes, I do have my desk top PC upstairs, but I confess to being spoiled by being able to sit on my comfy couch, dog at my side, and favorite TV shows in the background while I play around on the computer.  So I stopped by Staples after work today and am now the proud owner of an HP Envy with Beats audio (not that I'll actually use that much).

It has Windows 8 and this seems to take getting used to.  (I'm never crazy about changes like this.)
Windows 8 vs Windows 7: 8 ways it's different

The reviews say this new Start screen results in much quicker access to the programs you want.  But honestly I keep hitting the "charms" when I don't mean to -- I'm sure I'll improve with practice.

So while it wasn't planned ~ Merry Christmas to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment