Sunday, September 27, 2009

Who Will Buy This Wonderful Morning!

Last night we went with friends to see "Oliver" on stage at the Forest Theater in Carmel. Excellent acting and singing, along with pleasant weather and good company, made for a wonderful evening. I love sitting under the trees, as the sun goes down and the stars begin to twinkle. Can you catch the peak of the moon behind one large clump of branches toward the top of this photo? They have strict no photography rules, so I had to turn my camera off before the moon was in full view against a darker sky.

Several years ago we lived just a few doors down from the open-air theater. In the summer, in between our own visits to the theater, we would open our windows and listen to the music. It has been an annual tradition for our family to go to at least one play each summer ever since. You have to "pack" for the Forest Theater:

- Munchies and Drinks (check) ~ unless you opt for a chocolate chip cookies and hot apple cider at the concession stand instead! Many bring full blown wicker hampers with wine, cheese, fruit - the works.
- Warm coats for after the sun goes down (check)
- Cushions for your back and tush so you don't get too tired on the wooden bench style seating(check)
- Blanket to put over your lap when it is especially chilly or the fog rolls in (check)
- Flashlight so you can see your way back through the dark, winding Carmel streets when the play is over (check)

Of course, the words to the music play through our heads all the way home....

Consider yourself at home
Consider yourself one of the family
We've taken to you so strong
It's clear we're going to get along!

That song has always made me feel upbeat, but I really enjoyed the words to this song which I didn't know until last night....

Who will buy this wonderful morning.
Such a sky you never did see
Who will tie it up with a ribbon
And put it in a box for me.

So I could see it at my leisure
Whenever things go wrong
And I could keep it as a treasure
To last my whole life long.

Lovely thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment