Thursday, November 5, 2009

Reading the Classics

I joined a book club. Not just any book club. A Classic Books book club. I've read my share of classics through the years -- some required in high school and college, some picked up for fun and knowledge. But discussing classics with a group of articulate people will be a welcomed (I hope!) challenge.

We are reading The Three Musketeers this month -- a book that actually was not on my list of previously read literature. I'm on chapter 4 and already hooked!

Members of the club actually explored why people are hesitant to read classics - some suggested it is simply because it is difficult for people to get into the 'language' used, to put themselves back in time to a different set of values and opinions. It does seem to take more effort to work through a classic than to jump into a modern light novel. As a lover of words, I'll give it a try.

Here is a great article about reading the classics (the best part of the discussion starts at Lunchtime at the Museum):

http://www.bibliobuffet.com/content/view/1127/194/

No comments:

Post a Comment