Saturday, September 5, 2009

In the Moment

Oh my.... September already and I haven't posted anything worthwhile in so long, in fact I haven't posted at all in much too long. Confession -- I was caught up in the fast-paced, jot it down abbreviated style of Facebook. Meanwhile my soul was whispering, "Time for some reflection, some soft writing, some from your heart revelations." So here I am. Heart connected to hands, fingertips poised over the keyboard....

It was a hang-on-to-your hats summer. Dad had emergency pacemaker surgery. I flew down to be with him and there were many poignant moments when memories flooded back, and I wondered how did I get where I am, why do things have to change, where am I going now? Washing dishes at his kitchen sink and looking out on his backyard, laying in bed staring at the ceiling fan in the house I grew up in, hearing the same familiar screen door shut when he went out for his morning paper.... Somehow when we get older those "in the moment" recordings don't occur as often. Is it just me, or does everyone feel they have to make more of an effort to record those snapshots of life?

Two weeks after that I was back at Dad's again -- this time for the little reunion my sisters and I have once a year. We take turns having it at each other's house or finding a vacation spot. This year we went to Dad's and cleaned, helped him pick out paint and carpet for his house, made sure he was obeying doctor's orders and not overdoing it. Saw friends we hadn't seen in a long time, put together puzzles, and caught up with the craziness of what "really" goes on in our lives.

The time always goes too fast. We come home and roll out another school year (we all work in education). September is here, and I feel as out of practice writing my blog journal here as a child who has been at summer camp and once again faces a blank page and a freshly sharpened pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment