Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Four Agreements

This summer I had a chance to catch up on reading -- I always have a list of books I've been meaning to tackle.  Some are historical romance, some mysteries, some are biographies, some work related, others are self-improvement.  A book I rediscovered this month was The Four Agreements.  I had read this book a few years ago, but pulled it off the shelf again and found when I truly internalize the lessons they have a profound impact in how I present myself and how I respond to others. 

The Four Agreements:
1.  Be impeccable with your word.  Speak with integrity. Say what you mean.  Avoid speaking against yourself or gossiping.  Use words in the direction of truth and love.

2.  Don't take anything personally.  Nothing others do is because of you.  Be immune to the opinions and actions of others.

3.  Don't make assumptions.  Have the courage to ask questions.  Express what you really want.  Communicate with others clearly to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.

4.  Always do your best.  Do your best and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse and regret.


These agreements are now written in colorful ink on an index card which I carry with me so I can review them each morning.  It sets the tone to how I want to conduct myself throughout my work day and creates a much healthier environment for dealing with the questions and situations that arise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment