Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Artist's Way

A cozy bookstore tucked away on Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove changed how I look at creativity. It was there, shortly after moving to the Monterey Peninsula, that I discovered the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. I still have the bookmark with a quote by poet Walt Whitman that the store clerk slid into the book as he handed it to me.



Morning pages still beckon to me daily -- for awhile. Then I give them up, only to return time and again. I can sense summer coming. My crazy school year where I work is wrapping up this month and I'll soon feel the leisurely pace of sitting on the deck in my bathrobe, no place to go, just living in the moment. My mind is already bending that way, urging me to pick up "The Artist's Way" and explore creativity again.

Maybe for my next "artist's date" I'll go back to that bookstore and poke around, have a croissant and a cup of cocoa, and take my journal along for the ride. Click here to take a peek at what awaits me:

The Works (formerly Bookworks)

No comments:

Post a Comment