Thursday, December 26, 2013

Apple Cake and Cocoa Kinda Morning!

There is something special about the afterglow that comes the day after Christmas.  Contentment from full tummies and happy memories. Relishing the moments when you made others happy with gifts. Smiles over silly jokes made while playing games (we indulged in Monopoly, Uno and Clue this year).  Time to actually re-read the cards and letters that arrived and absorb the latest news from friends and family.  Inhaling the aroma of new fragrances.  I'm still in my new nightie that I received from my sister Linda for Christmas, enjoying a piece of apple cake (heated up in the microwave) and a cup of cocoa (made with milk, not water).
It is scrumptuous -- one of my mom's recipes -- Ash was in a baking mood so whipped it up yesterday.  Here it is, for the curious -- it makes a great little coffee cake in the morning:

Old Fashioned Apple Cake

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Grease 9X13X2 inch pan.

Batter:
1 package yellow cake mix
1 can apple pie filling (cut up in small chunks)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
3 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 t. vanilla

Combine batter ingredients by hand until well blended.  Spread batter in prepared pan.  Mix topping ingredients with fork until crumbly.  Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back.

There is something about baking things that your mother made that helps you remember the woman ~ her life, her hands, her smiles and words.  This morning I'm missing my mom.

Last night I sat down with the 2014 Susan Branch calendar my daughter Ash gifted me and wrote in all the birthdays and special events I want to remember.  I love fresh starts.

Now I better get ready!  Ash and I are going over to the bookstore and out to lunch. Then I'm off to pamper myself with a pedicure!  Tonight's dinner will be left overs from yesterday -- yum!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment