Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who have cared for a child, a mom, a pet, or a sibling that brought out your maternal instinct. I had a nice Mother's Day. Lys brought me a lovely arrangement of pink roses this morning, then picked up the tab for our lunch. Tonight she gave me a beautiful card, a gift certificate to Starbucks and a gift certificate for a pedicure (a couple of my favorite treats). What a thoughtful girl, eh? This afternoon we went to see "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" -- chick-flicks remain one of our guilty pleasures. This one is not worthy of wasting time on, however. Despite the thumbs-down film, we had some great conversations before and after. I was disappointed to have missed Ash's phone call attempts from England. The time difference makes it such a challenge to connect sometimes, but she wished me a Happy Mum's Day on my answering machine. Ash and I shared a warm, indepth conversation on the phone yesterday, anyway. I'm incredibly blessed to be the mother of such wonderful daughters.

My own mom has been gone for 13 years now, and I miss her. She was a wonderful mom, with good old common sense about raising kids -- she was our Mom first and foremost, but also could be a great friend. There was a creek behind our neighborhood in Ohio where wild violets grew. I often went down to the creek and would pick violets until they burst out of my little fists. I'd then take them home to my mom to put in a vase. If Mom were here today, I'd give her a big vase full of violets for being the wonderful woman she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment