Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Fairy Tale Girl

 
What a cozy night! The wind has kicked up, sorely needed rain is predicted to begin any time, and it just feels like fall! October has arrived! To sweeten this homey evening, in my mailbox today was the book I'd been waiting for: Susan Branch's "The Fairy Tale Girl."  A perfect book to curl up on the couch with on an autumn's eve.

I don't know if you have ever read any of Susan Branch's books, but they are full of adorable illustrations, wise thoughts, and memories from by-gone days of the 60's and 70's. Year after year, her wall calendars adorn my breakfast nook wall. She is a talented artist and her writing style makes you feel like you're sitting in her living room, feet up, sharing best friend stories. She has written several cookbooks, and more recently I read and then re-read her book, "A Fine Romance." If you have ever traveled to the English countryside, or wanted to, you will thoroughly enjoy this handwritten travel journal, photos, and artist's renderings of her trip there just a few short years ago.

So far I've read about 10 pages of  "The Fairy Tale Girl,", and without thinking my hands reached for my own journal and pen to jot down some reflections on my life. Had to stop and think about where I've been in this crazy life, where I'm going, and how to keep my passions alive.

"Everyone's life is a fairy tale written by God's finger."
        ~ Hans Christian Andersen

Susan included that quote in her book, doesn't it give you pause?

Happy October!

No comments:

Post a Comment