Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Encylopedia of Moi: C

Summer school is over, my traveling is complete, so maybe I can move along with my blog once again during these last blissful weeks of summer vacation!  My oh my -- up to letter C.  I believe mon "Encyclopedia of Moi" amies are on letter K so no keeping up with them now.  This encyclopedia will have to be completed in my own sweet time.  So let's move forward with the letter....

Calendars -- I've kept daily calendars since high school -- and by "kept" I mean in a drawer.  I can tell you where I was and what I was doing any day of any year for the past four decades.  Nerdy, I know.


California -- I love this state. We moved here from the midwest when I was in elementary school, so I'm not a native, but have spent most of my life here.  It has it all -- beaches, forests, mountains, deserts, quiet nature or exciting city life.  Quirks and all, I stand by California.
Cats -- When I was a little girl we had a cat that fit into my Chatty Cathy doll's clothes perfectly.  Poor kitty.  There have been cats in my life ever since.  Seems in our family, a house isn't a home without a cat hanging around.  Last fall my house became catless when Ash moved out with her orange tabby.  So I visited the local animal shelter, intending to adopt one adult cat, but the shelter volunteer told me about their two-for-one special and helped me fall in love with an adorable kitten (I'm partial to Siamese cats, can you tell?).  Scarlet was an itty bitty baby who thinks 2-year-old Violet is her mama (she's not, even though they look alike).  Violet has good naturedly taken this maternal role in stride and allows Scarlet to cuddle with her, they groom one another and play together.  Scarlet has grown since her homecoming picture below -- she is lively and spirited and plays with the dogs fearlessly. 

Here is glamorous Violet.  Silly girl -- I set my tote bag and suitcase on my window seat when I returned home from Florida a couple days ago and Violet couldn't wait to make herself at home in the bag!
Cocoa -- It's a bit odd but my sisters and I are not coffee drinkers -- instead we grew up with a warm cup of cocoa in the morning.  Even now, all these years later, whenever we stay at one another's home we offer each other a cup of cocoa in the morning.

Creativity -- Where would we be without creativity?  It's been a touchstone throughout my life.  This word embraces inventions, art, music, progress, problem solving, decorating, educating -- so many avenues.  Everyone has the ability to be creative, and what is so cool is that it can take so many different forms!  My friends and family engage in so many admirable pursuits:  one daughter writes books, another writes songs, one creates tunes on the piano, another takes amazing photos.  Some of my friends make beautiful quilts, some have enviable gardens, one takes oil painting lessons in her retirement.
My sister Chris makes beautiful scrapbooks, my sister Linda has a home filled with antiques and personal momentoes that exude charm!  I write poetry, create family journals and albums of our life stories and photos, create themes and materials for my speech and language therapy, and am always exploring other creative outlets.  Creativity feeds our spirits, allows us to experience a taste of success, and provides joy in knowing it is our own work and inspiration that brought the idea to fruition.  What do you do to honor your creativity?

 Join in and create your own Encyclopedia of Moi.  Link to:
http://shannonsswell.blogspot.com/2011/02/encyclopedia-of-moi-volume-d.html

No comments:

Post a Comment