Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September

Realizing that I haven't blogged for the past two weeks, I must explain. I really did not abandon ship in the middle of the course. Life just got a hold of me and wouldn't let go! I started back to work at the school district mid-August (earlier every year, it seems) with the usual fall initiation craziness. Then loose ends from my summer projects and fall prep responsibilities nagged and nagged until I took care of them, one by one.

Now September is here. That gear-switching month, scolding in that stern school teacher voice, "No more nonsense now! Time to get back into your routines!" Go to bed on time, get up on time, take out the trash on Sunday night, fill up your tank before the weekend prices. Keep your bed made, your laundry caught up, and stay on schedule with your book club for a change. I'm listening. And there is comfort in returning to routines. A sense of being productive. A sense of stability. Peace. All is well.

So now, I can also get back to writing in my blog -- my wonderful outlet for whatever topic I feel so inclined to discuss. And to make sure I have tied up ALL my summer loose ends, I'll continue with another entry or two to wrap up our Life at the Sea (aka "days with summer guests"). A coworker went to an Earth, Wind and Fire concert last night and mentioned their song, "September." I've had it in my head ever since.

September
Do you remember the 21st night of September?

Love was changing the minds of pretenders

While chasing the clouds away


Our hearts were ringing

In the key that our souls were singing

As we danced in the night,

Remember how the stars stole the night away


on and on - say that you remember
on and on - dancing in September

on and on - never was a cloudy day

...
Some bells were ringing

Our souls were singing

Do you remember, never a cloudy day?


Now that's the September spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment